History of Science Hall Building

Science Hall was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1993 as building number 93001616. It is part of the Bascom Hill Historic District, designated in 1974, which is bounded by Observatory Dr., University Ave., and N. Park, Langdon, and State Streets.

The NRHP notes that: "Science Hall is associated with Charles R. Van Hise, the first geologist in the nation to apply microscopic lithology to the extensive study of crystalline rocks, and to use those results in the formulation of geological principles. Van Hise's emphasis on the quantitative application of physical and chemical laws to geological problems was one of his greatest contributions to his field. His influential 1904 monograph, A Treatise on Metamorphism, moved geology out of the science of classification and into formulating principles. As a teacher, Van Hise earned a reputation for training geologists who matched his own high standards in scientific research."


Science Hall

Staircase

Aerial View

View down Langdon

Laboratory

Boardwalk

Anatomy Lab

Laboratory

Science Hall

Winter

Summer

Science Hall Burned

Old Science Hall

Room 180

Room 180

Lower Campus

Science Hall

Science Hall

Science Hall
 

top